Kazak weightlifter Ilya Ilyin has been stripped of the gold medals he won at the Beijing and London Olympic Games after failing doping tests in re-analysis of samples, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said on Friday.Ilyin, who won the 94kg category at both Games and is one of the sport’s most celebrated figures, tested positive for the banned substance stanozolol in 2008 and turinabol and stanozolol in 2012, the IOC said as it confirmed its decision to strip him of the medals, which he was ordered to hand back.The decision was a formality after the International Weightlifting Federation announced in June that Ilyin, a hero in his home country, had failed a re-test. (Also read: Russia stripped of women’s relay Gold of 2008 Olympics)The 28-year-old, who has also won four world titles and is a multiple world record holder, was suspended and missed the Rio de Janeiro Games in August where he had been expected to win gold in the 105kg category. Ilyin has denied wrongdoing.Aksana Miankova of Belarus was stripped of the gold medal she won in the women’s hammer throw in Beijing after testing positive for turinabol and oxandrolone in re-tests.Miankova was also disqualified from the same event at the London Games where she finished seventh. Her compatriot Natallia Mikhnevich was stripped of the silver medal from the women’s shot put in Beijing after testing positive for methandienone and stanozolol.Four other athletes were disqualified after also failing re-tests carried out by the IOC. (Also read: Russia stripped of two Beijing Olympic medals for doping)advertisementThey were Pavel Lyzhyn of Belarus, who competed in the men’s shot put in Beijing, Sviatlana Vusovich from the women’s 800 metres in Beijing, Boyanka Kostova of Azerbaijan from the women’s weightlifting in London and Nastassia Mironchyk-Ivanova of Belarus from the women’s long jump in London.The IOC, which stores samples for a decade to test with newer methods or to analyse performance-enhancing substances that have yet to be identified, says a total of 98 samples have come back as positive in re-testing from the 2008 and 2012 Olympics.It has been naming the guilty athletics, and stripping them of their medals where appropriate, in batches.
It has been only a little over a month since the BlackBerry Key2 was announced, but we’re already starting to hear some details regarding a “Lite” version of the phone. Noted tipster Evan Blass has been taking some interest on BlackBerry’s plans for a while now. A few hours ago, the tipster tweeted a live image of the alleged BlackBerry Key2 Lite, which is codenamed Luna, from the back along with a few details.The live image shows the BlackBerry Key2 Lite from the back. You notice the textured back, but it’s not the kind of diamond patterned textured back as we have seen on the Key2. The frame is in red which is one of the three colour options that the Key2 Lite is tipped to come in, the other two being blue and copper, as per Blass’ tweet. The tipster does not provide any more details regarding the phone or what it will be packing inside, apart from the fact that it will sport a form factor similar to the Key2, which means you can expect a 4.5-inch display on the top and a QWERTY keypad on the bottom half of the device.Alleged BlackBerry Luna, a.k.a. the “KEY2 Lite” (Lite and not Mini ‘cuz they supposedly have the same form factor). Said/shown to come in red, blue, and copper. pic.twitter.com/fMza9pAAZCEvan Blass (@evleaks) July 18, 2018Blass adds that the BlackBerry Key2 Lite may see a late August or early September launch, which could mean an IFA 2018 unveiling is on the cards. It will be interesting to see the kind of hardware the BlackBerry Key2 Lite will bring considering the Key2 does not pack flagship specs itself. At around $650, the Key2 offers a Snapdragon 660 chipset combined with 6 gigs of RAM. That’s a pretty steep pricing for a phone that does not offer a flagship-level chipset. The Key2 Lite is expected to be a toned down version of the Key2 so one can expect a downgraded chipset and lesser memory, among other things.advertisementEarlier this week Blass also tweeted that the rumoured BlackBerry Ghost and Ghost Pro from India’s Optiemus will be called BlackBerry Evolve and Evolve X when it starts shipping. One of the models is also tipped to a large 4,000mAh battery and the dual rear camera system will feature low-light enhancements and optical zoom.
MONTREAL — Quebec’s Crown prosecutors’ office and the provincial attorney general will appeal the sentence handed down to the gunman who killed six worshippers in a Quebec City mosque in January 2017.The prosecutors and the attorney general filed their appeal today in Quebec City.Alexandre Bissonnette was sentenced Feb. 8 to life behind bars without possibility of parole for at least 40 years.In court documents filed today, the Crown and the attorney general are seeking the inadmissibility period to be raised to 50 years. At sentencing, the Crown had sought 150 years.Lawyers for the gunman who killed six worshippers in a Quebec City mosque announced Friday they are also appealing the killer’s sentence, seeking parole inadmissibility be set at 25 years.The defence claims in its appeal motion that the 40-year sentence handed down to Bissonnette was cruel and unusual punishment.The Canadian Press