Chelsea to launch £80million transfer bid for Wilfried Zaha in January Wilfried Zaha was the subject of failed bids from Arsenal and Everton during the transfer window (Picture: Getty)Chelsea will launch an £80million bid for Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha in January if they can get their transfer ban overturned.Frank Lampard has faced a testing start to his managerial career at Stamford Bridge, prevented from adding to the squad he inherited from Maurizio Sarri and opting to sell his most experienced defender in David Luiz to Arsenal on deadline day with the Brazilian said to have become a disruptive influence.According to the Sun, Chelsea are confident they can overturn the punishment they received from FIFA and will look to prise Zaha from Selhurst Park come the turn of the year.AdvertisementAdvertisementThe 26-year-old was coveted by Arsenal earlier this summer but the Gunners failed to tempt Palace with a £40m bid and subsequently turned their attentions to Nicolas Pepe, who ultimately cost a club-record £72m.ADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityEverton, too, were unable to tempt the Eagles into selling their prize asset, who handed in a transfer request on Wednesday and did not train on Thursday ahead of Saturday’s first game of the season, ironically against the Merseysiders.The Toffees were prepared to put a cash plus players deal together worth around £100m for Zaha and pay the former Manchester United forward £200,000-a-week but Palace refused to budge.Everton signed Alex Iwobi from Arsenal on deadline day for close to £40m and are therefore unlikely to return for Zaha, leaving Chelsea potentially with a free run at the versatile forward. Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterThursday 8 Aug 2019 11:41 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.1kShares Alex Iwobi joined Everton from Arsenal on transfer deadline day (Picture: Getty)Speaking about Zaha’s state of mind, meanwhile, Palace boss Roy Hodgson said on Thursday: ‘He’s staying and we’re pleased about that. I sent him home, it being the last day of the transfer window, because it’s well documented he wanted to leave.‘His beef is with the chairman and the owners, because they didn’t receive an acceptable offer.‘But when you sign long-term contracts, you have to accept this kind of thing and come to terms with that. I certainly don’t have a problem with him.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Comment Advertisement
Loading… Read Also:Dakar Rally: Spanish driver wins for third time“But if you ask my family, my loved ones, they’ll tell you I’m not that different. I’m still that passionate young man looking for the moon.”McGregor and Cerrone both weighed in at 170 pounds on Friday for their welterweight bout.McGregor fought at welterweight previously when he went 1-1 against Nate Diaz in 2016 while Cerrone went 6-4 during a welterweight run between 2016 and 2018.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearReal Faces Of The Women From World Famous Paintings8 Things That Will Happen If An Asteroid Hits EarthTruly Mysterious Things That Have Happened On Chinese Soil7 Theories About The Death Of Our Universe6 Best ’90s Action Movies To Watch Today9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo10 Outrageous Ideas That Made People Ridiculously Rich7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The WorldThe Biggest Cities In The World So FarThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The World Mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor returns to the Octagon after a 15-month absence seeking – he says – to leave controversy behind him.Advertisement The Irish star takes on experienced Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone on Saturday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas – where Wednesday’s final press conference offered a remarkable display of respect from a fighter as famed for his trash talk as his formidable left hook. “It’s hard not to respect Donald,” McGregor said of the 36-year-old American, who boasts a record of 36 wins, 13 losses and holds the record for the number of knockouts (20) in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) – where victories are often won by submission and decision.However, Cerrone appears to be on the wane, considering his last two losses last year to Tony Ferguson and Justin Gaethje.“He’s a good fighter,” McGregor said. “But I can read Donald like a children’s book. I know his moves and I know what he’s planning. I have the advantage of speed, I’m well prepared, there’s no one to touch me.”McGregor claimed his last victory – his 21st in 25 bouts – in 2016.Since then, McGregor has been battered into submission by arch-rival Khabib Nurmagomedov in a contest that was marred by a massive brawl at ringside and been knocked out by boxing great Floyd Mayweather in a cross-combat superfight in Vegas in 2017.Away from the ring, the former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion has been charged with two assaults in the United States and, according to reports in the New York Times, remains the subject of two sexual assault investigations in Ireland.“I’ve made mistakes,” McGregor said in the buildup to the fight. “And I have been man enough to admit them and correct them. I’m more mature and more experienced. These experiences have helped me improve as a man.
Update: (October 5) A United States federal district judge has granted reprieve to tens of thousands of Haitians on Temporary Protected Status (TPS) in the country.Judge Edward M. Chen ruled that the Trump administration could not immediately end special protections for undocumented immigrants from Haiti, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Sudan, whose countries have been ravaged by wars and natural disasters.About 59,000 Haitians have been granted TPS, which does not offer them a path to permanent residency in the US.Judge’s ruling“It is hereby ordered that defendants, their officers, agents, employees, representatives, and all persons acting in concert or participating with them, are enjoined and restrained from engaging in, committing, or performing, directly or indirectly, by any means whatsoever, implementation and/or enforcement of the decisions to terminate TPS for Sudan, Haiti, El Salvador, and Nicaragua pending resolution of this case on the merits,” he ruled.Take action to preserve the status quo“It is further ordered that defendants shall take all administrative actions needed to preserve the status quo pending completion of discovery and a ruling on the merits of the case,” the judge said, adding that the defendants should report to the court within 15 days of this order on the administrative steps taken to comply with this paragraph and otherwise preserve the status quo.Effective immediately“The preliminary injunction shall take effect immediately and shall remain in effect pending resolution of this case on the merits or further order of this court,” the judge said, adding that a case management conference will be held on October 26.Judge Chen said the parties shall file a joint case management conference statement by October 19, “and shall address, inter alia, the expedited setting of trial or other means of adjudication of the merits.”In his ruling, Judge Chen noted that Haiti was originally designed for TPS on January 21, 2010 based on the 7.0-magnitude earthquake on January 12, 2010 that prevented Haitians from returning home safely. He said the Haiti designation was subsequently “extended and re-designated four times by the Obama administration and once by the Trump administration.”The judge noted that, although the Trump administration extended Haiti’s TPS designation one time, the extension was for six months only, in contrast to the customary 12 months.He ruled that TPS beneficiaries and their children “indisputably will suffer irreparable harm and great hardship.“TPS beneficiaries who have lived, worked, and raised families in the United States, many for more than a decade, will be subject to removal,” Judge Chen said.“Many have US-born children; those may be faced with the Hobson’s choice of bringing their children with them and tearing them away from the only country and community they have known or splitting their families apart.”Failed to establish real harm In contrast, the judge said the Trump administration has “failed to establish any real harm were the status quo, which has been in existence for as long as two decades, is maintained during the pendency of this litigation.“Indeed, if anything, plaintiffs and amici (court brief) have established without dispute that local and national economies will be hurt if hundreds of thousands of TPS beneficiaries are uprooted and removed,” he said.On January 18, this year, the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) had announced that current beneficiaries of TPS under Haiti’s designation, who wanted to maintain that status through the program’s termination date of July 22, 2019, must re-register before March 19 this year.Marleine Bastien, executive director for the Family Action Network Movement (FANM) in Miami, Florida, issued the following statement after U.S. District Judge Edward Chen recently granted a preliminary injunction stopping the Trump administration from terminating temporary protected status, or TPS, for immigrants Haiti and other nations. The original TPS expiration dates by the Trump administration were: Sudan, 11/2/2018, Nicaragua, 1/5/2019, Nepal, 6/24/2019, Haiti, 7/22/2019, El Salvador, 9/9/2019, and Honduras, 1/5/2020Judge Chen ruled that the government must continue TPS, and employment authorizations for TPS beneficiaries from those countries, while a lawsuit challenging the government’s decision to eliminate their protections proceeds. Bastien said, “This decision is tremendous news. I commend Judge Chen for his courage and thank him for the sign of relief he brought to hundreds of thousands of families, including their American-born children, from the specter of family separation that loomed over them. Make no mistake, the Trump administration’s decision to terminate TPS was based on racism and xenophobia. Our hope is that this decision will hold to allow us to continue our efforts toward a permanent solution for those 300,000 deserving families. These immigrants and their families deserve better and we thank Judge Chen for his sensible decision.” FANM will hold a press conference in reaction to the ruling today, Thursday, October 4 at 11 a.m. FANM’s mission is to empower low to moderate-income families socially, financially, and politically and to give them the tools to transform their communities.