Barnes tackle ‘criminal’ – Mourinho

first_img But he was much more forthcoming when appearing on Goals on Sunday on Sky Sports – a network he had strongly criticised for their coverage of Diego Costa’s stamp on Liverpool’s Emre Can last month, when replays of the incident carried the strapline ‘Costa’s crimes’. Costa was later handed a retrospective three-match ban. Taking the opportunity to turn the tables, Mourinho used a question about Barnes’ tackle to repeat his complaint. “When I finished at the game against Liverpool, I went to the dressing room and the first thing I saw on the big screen, reading non-stop – ‘Diego Costa crimes’,” he said. “I would like to know how to you, Sky Sports, describe the actions of the Burnley player yesterday? My English is not good enough to find a word. “When you think ‘Diego crimes’ after he puts his boot on a hand, when this is ‘Diego crimes’, the minimum you have to say is ‘criminal tackle’. “Did you apologise to Chelsea, to Diego or myself? You didn’t. As an institution, Sky is so important in the Premier League, you never apologise. “When Diego Costa has a three-match ban, probably three matches to Matic… tell me how many matches this player deserves?” Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has branded Ashley Barnes’ tackle on Nemanja Matic “criminal” in a lengthy attack on refereeing standards and media coverage while appearing on Sky Sports. Press Association Mourinho was fined £25,000 by the Football Association in January for claiming there was a “campaign” in the media against Chelsea, but maintained his attack on coverage. “I don’t like the fact you start immediately, in that moment, the public judgement of the player,” he added with regard to the Costa coverage. “You gave no space to the people that have to decide, the pressure was so much. “You don’t do this with every club, with every player. Last year, Yaya Toure against Norwich, you didn’t have the same approach; (Robin) van Persie against West Ham, you didn’t have the same approach. “This one (on Saturday) was even worse. This can be end of career. Matic is a very lucky guy.” Mourinho repeated his list of complaints regarding decisions which he believes have gone against his team this season, suggesting Chelsea would be 12 points clear of Manchester City rather than five had officials got their decisions right. “I’m risking my dugout in the (Capital One Cup) final because maybe tomorrow I get a ban,” he said. “The incidents, I’m speaking about week after week exactly because it’s week after week… “When I go to the media and do what I did (on Saturday), ’30, 33, 43, 69 and goodbye’ or do what I’m doing with you, I’m not attacking the honest or dignity of anyone, I’m not trying to bring the game into disrepute – which is always (the phrase) they use when they want to punish me. “I’m just trying to be honest. If you ask me about the five-points difference I would say that if we are in a normal situation where mistakes which are part of the game are sometimes in our favour, sometimes against us, it wouldn’t be five, it would be 12.” The Portuguese went on to add that he was sympathetic to the difficulties referees face, and suggested that more video technology should be used. “If the referee cannot see a penalty three metres in front of him, some official in front of a screen cannot miss it,” he said. “If we want to protect the integrity of referees and believe the mistake is a consequence of misinterpretation or a bad position or the unpredictability of the game, I think technology can help.” Matic was sent off for his reaction to Barnes’ tackle in the 70th minute, but the Burnley player went unpunished in the 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge on Saturday. Mourinho had little to say in his post-match press conference, simply listing the key moments in the game and adding: “If you look at these moments you know exactly what I think about the game.” last_img read more

Ellsworth/Sumner football comes back to top Houlton

first_img Latest Posts ELLSWORTH — Long after everyone else had left the stadium, the Ellsworth/Sumner Eagles weren’t about to stop savoring a special moment.Fans of the Ellsworth/Sumner football team and the visiting Houlton Shiretowners had flocked to the parking lot to begin their journeys home, but the Eagles’ players and coaches weren’t going anywhere. As the team gathered in the south end zone at Harold “Tug” White Stadium, everyone wanted to keep celebrating a breakthrough triumph.Javon Williams and Connor Crawford hollered as they brushed shoulder pads and high-fived. Junior Charlie Hughes, sweat dripping down his face, took off his helmet and raised his arms toward the night sky as he jumped on Crawford’s back. Before long, the players’ head coach was there to join them.“That was fun, wasn’t it?” Duane Crawford yelled to Hughes and Williams as the three shared a hug. “Let’s do that again!”This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textOn a night that saw the Ellsworth/Sumner football team earn its first win of the season, that exuberance told the whole story. After losing tight games to start the year, battling roster attrition and dealing with numerous injuries, the Eagles fought back from a second-half deficit against visiting Houlton to deliver a 28-14 victory on Homecoming Friday.“We might be going up against teams that have twice as many players as us because we have 23 guys, but our boys don’t quit,” Williams said. “All that hard work we’ve put in and the conditioning we’ve done in the offseason, it paid off for us tonight and gave us a win that’s going to boost our confidence.”Ellsworth/Sumner’s Connor Crawford pitches the ball to Charlie Hughes during the first half of a high school football game against Houlton on Sept. 22 in Ellsworth. Crawford and Hughes combined for the Eagles’ four touchdowns on the ground. ELLSWORTH AMERICAN PHOTO BY MIKE MANDELLEllsworth/Sumner didn’t get a first down on its first drive, but the Eagles’ bend-but-don’t-break defense kept Houlton off the scoreboard on the ensuing possession. After getting the ball back, Connor Crawford took the snap under center and ran 94 yards to the end zone to put the Eagles ahead 6-0 as time expired in the first quarter.“I saw a bit of a lane, and I cut back and started running as hard as I could,” Crawford said. “They had a guy coming after me who I thought was going to get me, but I kicked it into full gear from there and just kept sprinting.”Houlton, though, had a response. The Shiretowners immediately set off on a drive that lasted over nine minutes and had three conversions on third or fourth down. With 2 minutes, 44 seconds left in the half, Seth Holston plowed his way into the end zone to tie the game at 6.Neither team scored for the remainder of the first half, but a 55-yard run by Houlton on the first play of the second set up a touchdown run and 2-point conversion that put the Shiretowners ahead 14-6. Three possessions later, Ellsworth/Sumner tied the game after Crawford ran the ball in from a yard out and threw a pass to Williams for the 2-point conversion.From there, the Eagles (1-3) seized the momentum — and caught the break they needed in the process.After Ellsworth/Sumner stopped Houlton (2-2) on the next drive, the Shiretowners had a bad snap on the punt that gave the Eagles the ball deep in the red zone. Two plays later, Charlie Hughes scored on a 5-yard touchdown run to put Ellsworth/Sumner ahead 20-14 with 12 seconds remaining in the third quarter.“We took advantage of their mistakes and made plays when we needed them,” Duane Crawford said. “It was a total team effort, and as a coach, I really couldn’t have asked for anything more.”Ellsworth/Sumner’s Charlie Hughes goes for a diving tackle against Houlton’s Seth Holston during the second half of a high school football game Sept. 22 in Ellsworth. ELLSWORTH AMERICAN PHOTO BY MIKE MANDELLFollowing another Houlton punt, Ellsworth/Sumner made the visitors pay once again. Midway through the fourth quarter, Connor Crawford spun past a defender and dove over the goal line for an 8-yard score. The ensuing 2-point try put the home team up 28-14, and an interception with a minute left allowed the Eagles to run out the clock.Crawford totaled 163 yards on 15 carries for Ellsworth/Sumner’s offense, and Hughes recorded 58 yards on nine carries. Andrew Brown and Malcolm Svec both had four solo tackles and nine assisted tackles on defense, and the former provided the game-ending interception for the Eagles.In addition to giving the team its first win of the season, the game had yet another piece of significance for Ellsworth/Sumner. The team is now in fifth place in Class D North, and when it faces Winthrop/Monmouth (1-3) on the road at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 29, it will enter the game occupying a playoff spot for the first time after being ineligible the past five years.For the moment, though, it wasn’t time to look ahead. When the scoreboard in the northeast corner of the stadium turned off after the team’s postgame pep talk, a familiar face at Ellsworth High School voiced his objection.“Turn it back on!” the voice yelled. It was longtime teacher and head wrestling coach J.F. Burns, who wanted a picture of his team with the winning score in the background. And with two teams Houlton shut out by a combined margin of 50-0 left on Ellsworth/Sumner’s schedule, the Eagles have an opportunity to make Burns take a few more scoreboard photos before season’s end.“We can build on this,” Williams said. “When you haven’t won yet, the games seem longer and start to get you down. We don’t have to worry about that now. We finally have that win and know we can make some noise.” Mike MandellMike Mandell is the sports editor at The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander. He began working for The American in August 2016. You can reach him via email at [email protected] Bio Latest posts by Mike Mandell (see all)center_img Hospice volunteers help families navigate grief and find hope – September 12, 2020 Ellsworth runners compete in virtual Boston Marathon – September 16, 2020 MPA approves golf, XC, field hockey, soccer; football, volleyball moved to spring – September 10, 2020last_img read more

Dave Stockton gets off to a poor start

first_imgSan Bernardino native and Redlands resident Dave Stockton figured he’s experienced just about everything on both the PGA Tour and Champions Tour. But he added a new feat to his illustrious professional career last week at the Champions Tour’s Outback Steakhouse Pro-Am, held at the TPC Tampa Bay in Florida. On his first hole of his 2007 season debut, Stockton earned a triple bogey, and later added another triple bogey, en route to a 10-over-par 81. “The worst opening round and worst start in my career,” said Stockton, who began his professional career in 1964. “The funny thing was I started the round with six balls and lost three of ’em in the first three holes. I didn’t know if I was going to run out of balls before the end of the round.” Luckily, Stockton didn’t. Although the round wasn’t his best, he recovered the following day with a second-round 70, then finished with a rugged 80 on Sunday, where temperatures in the Tampa Bay area hit the low 40s with winds that reached more than 30 mph. “It really was miserable for golf, but what are you going to do,” he said. “Set all sorts of personal worsts, but it happens.” Stockton played a sporadic 2006 season as he spent much of last season with his wife Cathy, who was diagnosed with breast cancer. He played 14 events and plans on playing about the same amount this season. “Cathy had her last chemo treatment on Jan. 11 and we have six weeks of radiation ahead of us,” he said. “We tolerate it the best we can. She walks two miles a day, and when she doesn’t, she spends a lot of time in the garden.” Stockton turned 65 this past November, but doesn’t plan on retiring. He needs to play a minimum of 11 events to qualify for the tour’s benefit plan. center_img “That’s become pretty important to us,” he said. “Playing at least 11 is a priority. After this year, I can see playing the minimum. “Obviously, I’m not shooting to win tournaments, but to play competitive golf means a lot to me. It really comes down to enjoying myself with my friends. I’m not ready to give that up.” The Champions Tour makes its annual Southern California appearance with the Toshiba Classic in Newport Beach (March 9-11) and the AT&T Champions Classic in Valencia (March 16-17). Plan on Stockton playing in both events. Already this season, the 50-and-over Tour has been influenced by the younger entrants. Earlier in Hawaii, rookie Fred Funk won at Turtle Bay with the largest margin in Champions Tour history That group of newcomers has built an excitement for fans who follow the senior circuit. Although, Stockton would like to see some of the young guys take their time at enjoying success. “It’s an exciting year with an influx of new people,” he said. “We really have an interesting cross section of players. (Mark) O’Meara, (Nick) Price, (Scott) Hoch … I would’ve liked to have seen Funk struggle a bit instead of playing so well right off the bat. “But, O’Meara (who fired an 82 on Sunday in Tampa Bay) struggled a bit. Good to have him humbled. We don’t want to have those guys have too much success right away.” And when playing isn’t on his agenda, he and sons David and Ron are heavily involved in corporate events. The three plan on working several events this year. They also are involved in a golf and residential development in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. “It’s a spectacular site,” he said. “Tom Fazio has 36 holes that he’s designed. David’s working on real estate and a smaller course will be a golf school that’s ours.” SENIOR STROKE PLAY Thomas Herzan of Findlay, Ohio, fired a final-round 5-under 67 to win the fourth annual Callaway Golf PGA Western Senior Stroke Play Championship, held at PGA of Southern California on Tuesday at Beaumont. Herzan won the 54-hole event by one shot over Ronald Stelten of Palm Desert and Chris Starkjohann of Encinitas. A SENIOR CALLING San Bernardino Golf Club will play host to the San Bernardino County men’s amateur championship March 26-27. The format features individual gross and net champions. Age groups are 50-60, 61-70 and 71 and over. Cost is $85 and includes green fees, award ceremony with dinner and a free practice round. Deadline is March 18 and the field will be capped at 100. For information, contact (909) 885-2414. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more