McGregor seeks to emerge from controversy in UFC comeback

first_img Loading… Read Also:Dakar Rally: Spanish driver wins for third time“But if you ask my family, my loved ones, they’ll tell you I’m not that different. I’m still that passionate young man looking for the moon.”McGregor and Cerrone both weighed in at 170 pounds on Friday for their welterweight bout.McGregor fought at welterweight previously when he went 1-1 against Nate Diaz in 2016 while Cerrone went 6-4 during a welterweight run between 2016 and 2018.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearReal Faces Of The Women From World Famous Paintings8 Things That Will Happen If An Asteroid Hits EarthTruly Mysterious Things That Have Happened On Chinese Soil7 Theories About The Death Of Our Universe6 Best ’90s Action Movies To Watch Today9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo10 Outrageous Ideas That Made People Ridiculously Rich7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The WorldThe Biggest Cities In The World So FarThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The World Mixed martial arts star Conor McGregor returns to the Octagon after a 15-month absence seeking – he says – to leave controversy behind him.Advertisementcenter_img The Irish star takes on experienced Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone on Saturday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas – where Wednesday’s final press conference offered a remarkable display of respect from a fighter as famed for his trash talk as his formidable left hook. “It’s hard not to respect Donald,” McGregor said of the 36-year-old American, who boasts a record of 36 wins, 13 losses and holds the record for the number of knockouts (20) in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) – where victories are often won by submission and decision.However, Cerrone appears to be on the wane, considering his last two losses last year to Tony Ferguson and Justin Gaethje.“He’s a good fighter,” McGregor said. “But I can read Donald like a children’s book. I know his moves and I know what he’s planning. I have the advantage of speed, I’m well prepared, there’s no one to touch me.”McGregor claimed his last victory – his 21st in 25 bouts – in 2016.Since then, McGregor has been battered into submission by arch-rival Khabib Nurmagomedov in a contest that was marred by a massive brawl at ringside and been knocked out by boxing great Floyd Mayweather in a cross-combat superfight in Vegas in 2017.Away from the ring, the former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion has been charged with two assaults in the United States and, according to reports in the New York Times, remains the subject of two sexual assault investigations in Ireland.“I’ve made mistakes,” McGregor said in the buildup to the fight. “And I have been man enough to admit them and correct them. I’m more mature and more experienced. These experiences have helped me improve as a man.last_img read more

Syracuse Athletics to launch rewards program with women’s basketball game Sunday

first_img Published on January 17, 2018 at 10:36 pm Contact Josh: [email protected] | @Schafer_44 Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse Athletics is attempting to break the SU attendance record for a women’s basketball game for the second-straight season, on Jan. 21 against Pittsburgh. This year, SU hopes its students will be the difference maker.On Sunday, when Syracuse (14-4, 2-3 Atlantic Coast) hosts Pittsburgh (9-9, 1-4), student attendees will participate in Syracuse Athletics’ student rewards program for the first time. The point-based system will reward students that attend SU athletic events. Once students accumulate enough points, they will be able to claim a multitude of rewards.“It’s going to be fun,” said Syracuse Associate Athletics Director for Business Development Anthony Di Fino. “We are catching up to what a lot of the other schools have done. We worked with Otto’s Army and we worked with a lot of people to make sure we got this rewards program in place.”The system tracks students’ points through the official Syracuse Athletics app called “Syracuse Orange.” The point system will award 100 points to students for each event they attend. Certain games will be marked as “bonus” days, Di Fino said, meaning on those days students will get additional points for attending the event. On Sunday, SU Athletics will grant 1,000 reward points to each student that walks through the Carrier Dome doors.The rewards points turn into “Syracuse Bucks” with 100 points equaling one buck. Students can track how many bucks they’ve earned on the app and then exchange them for prizes. The big-ticket items listed for the launch are an Apple Watch (750 Bucks) and two courtside tickets to the men’s basketball game against North Carolina (300) on Feb. 21. Other items students can earn include four courtside tickets to the women’s basketball game against Duke on Feb. 15 and a Dino Babers-signed helmet.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textStudents will also be able to participate in trivia, polls and other challenges to win more points and in turn, more Syracuse Bucks.“We are going to keep adding,” Di Fino said. “It’s not, ‘We have 10 things and they are set for the year.’ We are going to keep adding to keep things fresh.”Anna Henderson | Digital Design EditorDoors will open an hour and a half ahead of the 2:00 p.m. tip-off and come with several benefits for early birds. The first 200 students will receive a five-dollar concessions voucher while the first 5,000 fans to arrive, student or not, will be handed a free t-shirt. All students who attend will be entered into a raffle to win a PlayStation 4 or a pair of tickets reserved in the first five rows for the student section for the men’s basketball game against North Carolina. Ten sets of tickets will be distributed in all.Students with the premium or elite student ticket package that attend Sunday’s game will be entered to win an Apple Watch.“It’s probably the biggest game of the year from an athletic side in terms of how much support we give something like this outside of that Clemson football game,” Di Fino said. Commentslast_img read more

Former Flyers head coach now at the helm with the Trackers

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The Northeast BC/Yukon Trackers are less than a week from their training camp, which will be run once again by a new head coach.After former head coach David Johnston left at the end of last season, the Trackers didn’t look far to find his replacement. Former Fort St. John Senior Flyers bench boss Gerard Dicaire will be behind the Trackers’ bench this season, less than two years after stepping down as the Flyers’ coach. The two-time NHL draft pick won an Allan Cup and a Savage Cup playing with the team, along with an NPHL Championship. In 2013, Dicaire stepped behind the bench to coach the team to their first of two straight Coy Cup Championships in the Spring of 2015.After stepping down to spend more time with his family, Dicaire said that he was given the blessing to return to coaching from his kids. He said that he plans on bringing a fresh insight to the team this season, which will be the second year the team’s curriculum corresponds to the Hockey Canada Skills Academy Program. He explained that three returning players from last season won’t be attending training camp initially, as they plan to try out for the Cariboo Cougars Major Midget team. Second year returning forward Connor Bowie also won’t be at this weekend’s camp, as he’s set to attend the Portland Winterhawks’ training camp ahead of the WHL season.- Advertisement -The Trackers training camp begins this Friday at 6:00 p.m. at the Pomeroy Sport Centre, and runs until Sunday. Dicaire said that the final cuts might not be known until next week, as he and his fellow coaching staff will need to look at the various players’ strengths and weaknesses.last_img read more