COLORADO STATE-COVID-19-INVESTIGATIONColorado St investigates athlete claims on COVID reportingFORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) — Colorado State President Joyce McConnell says she will launch an investigation into how the athletic department handled COVID-19 safety protocols amid a report that players were told not to reveal symptoms. The investigation stems from an article published in the Coloradoan on Tuesday. According to the newspaper, Colorado State football players and members of the athletic staff say coaches told them not to report coronavirus symptoms and threatened players with reduced playing time should they quarantine.McConnell promised a swift investigation and full transparency. August 5, 2020 The Browns promoted Gossett from the practice squad late last season. His loss will hurt Cleveland’s depth and likely force general manager Andrew Berry to look for free agents.Gossett is the second Browns guard to opt out, following Drew Forbes. The team also will be without offensive tackle Drake Dorbeck and defensive tackle Andrew Billings.The deadline for players opting out is Thursday at 4 p.m.MLB-NEWSCOVID-stricken Cards shuffle roster — Nationals slugger Juan Soto could return to the starting lineup Wednesday after a stint on the COVID-19 injured list. Soto was sidelined on opening day following a positive test and returned to team workouts Saturday. He was available to pinch hit Tuesday in the opener of a two-game series against the Mets. He didn’t play, but he made his presence felt. When Howie Kendrick homered in the first inning, Soto hopped atop the home dugout and boogied as the speakers blared Montell Jordan’s 1995 hit, “This Is How We Do It.” Soto repeated the celebration an inning later when Josh Harrison delivered his first homer of 2020.— The Yankees and Phillies are scheduled to play two seven-inning games in Philadelphia. New York will be the “home” team in the opener after last night’s game in the Bronx was postponed due to weather. The Yankees have won seven straight — the equivalent of a 19-0 stretch in a 162-game season.— Cleveland manager Terry Francona is undergoing medical tests for a gastrointestinal issue, and there remains no clear timetable for when he’ll return to the team. President Chris Antonetti, who is with the team in Cincinnati, doesn’t know when Francona will be back but doesn’t think he will be sidelined for a significant period. Cleveland is scheduled to open a two-game series at home with the Reds. UNDATED (AP) — The coronavirus-ridden Cardinals are expected to make more transactions after placing six players on the injured list, including confirmed COVID-19 cases Yadier Molina, Paul DeJong, Edmundo Sosa, Junior Fernandez and Kodi Whitley.St. Louis also put pitcher Carlos Martinez on the injured list and activated reliever Brad Miller from the injured list. The Cardinals have been out of action since Friday due to an outbreak that resulted in the postponement of their three-game weekend series at Milwaukee as well as a four-game series with Detroit. The club is hoping to resume play by hosting the Chicago Cubs on Friday.The Cardinals who have tested positive have returned home while the rest of the team remains isolated in Milwaukee hotel rooms. In other MLB news: Update on the latest sports Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditUCONN-SEASON CANCELEDUConn becomes 1st FBS program to cancel football over virusSTORRS, Conn. (AP) — The University of Connecticut has canceled its 2020-2021 football season, becoming the first FBS program to suspend football because of the coronavirus pandemic. UConn athletic director David Benedict made the announcement Wednesday, saying competition would place student-athletes at an unacceptable level of risk. UConn had been scheduled to play its first season as an independent after leaving the American Athletic Conference. The Huskies had already been taken off the schedules of Illinois, Indiana, Maine and Mississippi by those schools, and games against North Carolina and Virginia remained uncertain. Many of the Power Five conferences are playing league-only games this season.The Huskies began spring practice on Feb. 4 and were one of the only teams in the country to complete a full spring schedule. The team returned to campus in early July and UConn officials say no one has tested positive for the coronavirus.Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont had expressed reluctance to allow the football team to travel to any state with a high virus infection rate. He said the team would be subject to the state’s 14-day quarantine rule upon its return to Storrs from away games.Connecticut, New York and New Jersey have travel advisories that require visitors from more than 30 states and Puerto Rico to quarantine for 14 days, with certain exceptions. Associated Press Colorado State voluntarily paused football team activities on July 29. The school said there have been 16 positive cases among all student-athletes, including 11 in football. On Monday, Colorado State announced it had conducted 150 tests on student-athletes for the coronavirus. The results are expected later this week.NFL-NEWSGossett becomes 4th Browns player to opt outUNDATED (AP) — Cleveland Browns guard Colby Gossett has opted out of the 2020 season, becoming the fourth player on the team — and third offensive lineman — to decide not to play because of the coronavirus pandemic.Gossett qualifies for the high-risk opt-out agreed to by the NFLPA and will receive a $350,000 stipend for not playing. He was due to make $675,00 this season.
Duro IKHAZUAGBE with agency reportFrench Ligue 1 outfit Lille and Italian Napoli appears to have finally settled on a transfer fee believed to be in the region of 50 million Euros plus a player, Adam Ounas, before Nigerian international, Victor Osimhen, will make a switch to the Serie A club. The total amount Napoli is expected to pay Lille to conclude the deal was put at 81 million Euros.French top media, L’Equipe reported yesterday that both teams are believed to have finalised on this on Monday when they met. The worth of the much-discussed transfer has varied from 50 million Euros to as much as 85 million Euros depending on various sources.The 2015 FIFA Under-17 World Cup winner in Chile along with his management team were in Naples last week to meet Napoli chiefs and manager, Gennaro Gattuso.But shortly after the visit, speculations were rife in Italian and British tabloids that Osimhen was not interested in Napoli but transfer to a big English club like Arsenal of Manchester United.The meeting between Lille and Napoli officials has sort of put paid to all the speculations, with Gattuso in particular reported to be willing to take pay cut to attract Osimhen to Naples.Osimhen, according to scorenigeria.com.ng, will enjoy much-improved personal terms put at around four million Euros a year.He has been Gattuso’s No 1 choice to replace Poland star Milik, who is set to quit Napoli in this transfer window.Gattuso only took over the Naples team in December 2019 from Carlo Ancelotti.On Monday, Napoli President, Aurelio de Laurentiis, assured Gattuso will keep his post for next season even though the club will not qualify for UEFA Champions League from Serie A this season.A formal announcement of the transfer is now due on Thursday.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Under ordinary circumstances, it might seem a silly degree of concern for an ankle sprain. But Ball is no ordinary rookie. On the night of the injury, Walton stressed the need to keep Ball on the floor to ensure the Lakers could continue to grow around him.Without Ball, the Lakers have continued to put in more elements of their offense, putting pressure on Ball to learn more from the sidelines.“We’re still working on just getting familiar with the different reads, with the different options,” Walton said. “We’re putting in an offense that has play calls to it right now but eventually we’d like it to just be reads for the players.”Ball’s injury, minor though it initially seemed, has been a setback for the Lakers, disrupting their preseason strategy and delaying their timeline.There is not, however, much of anything that can be done about that.“He played in the first couple games,” Walton said. “When he’s healthy, the training staff will give us the clear and he’ll get ready to go.”DEFENSE IMPROVING?After allowing an average of 116 points over the first three games of the preseason, and earning a tongue-lashing from Walton following a 128-107 loss to Denver on Oct. 4, the Lakers seem to have figured out a couple of things defensively.After rewatching the 105-99 loss against Utah, Walton said, “We found a lot of good half-court defensive stuff we did again. Which obviously we’re thrilled about.”Of course, there were things Walton did not care for. Transition defense, once again, was suspect. They fouled too much at the rim.“Those were the kind of focal points in the film room on the defensive end,” Walton said. “But on the whole we were very happy with how we defended last night.”After the Lakers did not show early signs of improvement, some began to fear they would once again be among the league’s worst defensive teams. Those concerns have been temporarily put to rest.“I am 100 percent sure that we are going to be better than last year,” veteran Corey Brewer said. “We are not going to be 30th, come on now. That’s horrible. You can see that we have shown signs that we can really do it and I think we will do it.”Brewer, one of the Lakers’ best wing defenders, went so far as to say, “we should be a top-five offensive team and a top-10 defensive team.” EL SEGUNDO — Sitting on the sidelines in shower shoes and a crisp white Big Baller Brand hoodie, Lonzo Ball watched as another day of Lakers basketball rolled on without him.The prized rookie continues to sit out with a sprained ankle that was initially labeled as mild, but has proved to be anything but.Enlisted as the new face of a team whose offensive philosophy was constructed around him, Ball has been limited to light drills since suffering the injury on Oct. 2.The highly anticipated start to Ball’s Lakers career has sputtered out of the gates. He has missed three consecutive preseason games and is listed as questionable for Friday’s exhibition finale against the Clippers. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersCoach Luke Walton said he was hoping Ball could play, but did not sound especially confident it would happen.“Do I plan on him playing?” Walton said. “No. We’re going about coaching this with the guys that we know are available.”Ball worked out before Tuesday’s loss to Utah with assistant coach Miles Simon, and did so again before practice on Wednesday, Walton said. The Lakers would like to see him complete a practice before playing in a game, but that could be either Thursday or in an extended shootaround Friday.On Wednesday, Walton acknowledged the injury has been trickier than he initially expected.“I didn’t think he would miss the whole preseason,” Walton said, “but you try not to really think like that. They’re injuries, you can’t and you don’t want to rush players back.”