FCPPL matchday preview: Kotoko, Chelsea top liner as Hearts await salvation

first_imgThe #JoySports team looks ahead to week 22 of the First Capital Plus Premier League as the race for the title tightens and the relegation makes for great viewing. Following the dramatic shake up at the top of the table last week, many teams will be hoping to consolidate or, better still, improve on their standings on the table.The subplots are many, too.EDITOR’S UPDATE: BA United lost 0-2 to Inter Allies on Saturday. [Click here for match report]Hasaacas drew 1-1 with Wa All Stars, also on Saturday.Aduana v Hearts of Oak Aduana are in Dormaa as Hearts of Oak come to town. All eyes will be on the Phobians following their managerial problems. Earlier in the week, Herbert Addo was let go along with his assistant and the team’s woes worsened when they lost in the Elite Cup against Dwarfs. Eddie Ansah, the goalkeeper’s trainer, has been put in charge of the team and will be hoping to get the Phobians their first win in four matches.“I believe I am more capable to handle Hearts of Oak. I do not have any working experience because I have not coached any team, but I believe I can do a good job,” Ansah told Oman FM. “I will lead the team to a respectable position if I am handed the job,” he went on.Aduana will want to take advantage of Hearts’ troubles to compensate their loss to AshGold last wekend. The Dormaa side are still in the haunt for the title and a win could see their chances boosted especially when Ashantigold face a trick test in Kpando. Aduana (4th) last five games: L W L W LHearts (12th) last five games: L D D L WLions v AshGoldThe league leaders will travel to play Hearts of Lions. It appears this “Hearts” are also struggling. Just like Hearts of Oak, Lions lost their last game to WAFA and have tasted a sanction from the FA for supporter violence.  After hitting the 40-point mark, AshGold’s seven point gap lead does not appear to be in trouble soon. They will be hoping to continue from where they left off when they beat Aduana by a lone goal. Having been awarded a new contract this week, Bashiru Hayford will want a win to crown off a successful week for him as they seek to tighten their grip on the league title.He said: “If we have stretched the lead by 7 points, then we are cruising towards the winning of the league but I’m not saying it is automatic. No!””Anything at all can happen but we are going to guide against things that will may be prevent us from winning the league. I think we are on course.” Lions (14th) last five games: L D L D LAshGold (1st) last five games: W L W D WKotoko v Berekum ChelseaThe encounter will see a resurgent Chelsea, who moved to second in Week 21, face Kotoko in Kumasi.Kotoko’s loss to Dunkwa, a Division One side, in the Elite Cup exposed their deepening cracks.Hearts’ woes may have shifted the attention from the Porcupines but not its problems. Chelsea will hope to capitalize on this to increase their chances of catching up with AshGold at the top. The Berekum side have an abysmal record away from home having last won in March 2013. Their last trip to Kumasi ended 2-1 to the Porcupines. Should Solomon Odwo and his charges mount a title charge, this poor form away must be halted and what better place to stop the rot than Kumasi?Kotoko (10th) last five games: D W L W LChelsea (2nd) last five games: W D W L W Olympics v Bechem United.Great Olympics will be come into the game on the back of a 1-0 defeat to Inter Allies two weeks ago. Olympics have however been boosted following two successive weeks in the Elite Cup. Bechem United also come into the game after winning at home against Liberty in Week 21. The Bechem Side have a potential game changer in Cofie Bekoe in their ranks and will be hoping the former Petrojet player can produce a stelar performance to fetch them all three points.Olympics (15th) last five games: L W L L L Bechem (11th) last five games: W L W D W Liberty v Medeama SCThe last time both teams met, the game ended 1-1.The teams will be hoping to settle it this time round. Although they sit comfortably around the middle of the table, their last few matches have not gone quite well.Liberty will hope that home fans will spur them on for their first victory in three matches. Kennedy Ashia is in top form for the Dansoman side having scored five goals in his last four matches for the scientific soccer lads.He faces his rival for the goal king, Nathaniel Asamoah, who has not been prolific in the road for the Tarkwa side. More frightening for Medeama will be the fact that Ashia has scored four in his last two games.The MTN FA Cup finalists will be counting on two goal hero Kwasi Donsu to perform my heroics should Nathaniel Asamoah continue with his poor run away from home.Liberty (8th) last five games: L L W D WMedeama (9th) last five games: D L W L DEdubiase FC v WAFANew Edubiase sit just a point above the relegation zone with 26 points after 21 games. Edubiase’s last encounter with Berekum Chelsea end 2-0 in favour of the latter. While Chelsea shot to the 2nd on the log from 5th, Edubiase went down to 13th from 9th. They will hoping to compensate for that loss in front of their home fans when they take on third place WAFA who won their last game against Lions 2-1. Edubiase (13th) last five games: L W D D L WAFA (3rd) last five games: W L W D D –The Joy Sports Team will be bringing live updates on Sports Arena on Sunday from 3pm, anchored by Gary Al-Smith. Follow minute by minute updates on Twitter and Facebook with the #JoySports hashtaglast_img read more

LETTERKENNY GENERAL TO ‘LOSE 24-HOUR A&E IN CUTBACKS’

first_imgLETTERKENNY General Hospital will lose 24-hour accident and emergency cover if Health Minister James Reilly implements his proposal to reduce the overspend at the hospital, donegaldaily.com can reveal.More than 90% of admissions to Letterkenny General come through the emergency department.And if the hospital makes the cuts wanted by the HSE, it would lead to the loss of 24-hour cover. That would mean patients facing journeys of up to two hours to Sligo General – where there aren’t enough staff to cope.And emergency cases taken to Altnagelvin in Derry would end up costing the HSE more money.We understand that there is already a €6M overspend at Letterkenny hospital this year – and that the HSE wants to recoup those losses in the second half of this year.However stopping all surgery wouldn’t be enough to save that money. And the only option left would be to reduce the number of hours that A&E operates. That move would also lead to reduced hours for staff and job losses. Letterkenny General is in the headlines again today because of cutbacks, cuts implemented by the HSE while other hospitals get more cash for each patient.There are a shocking ELEVEN unfilled vacancies for Non-Consultant Hospital Doctors – a situation described as ‘crazy’ by one nurse today.“If these cuts go ahead, then A&E is the only way to go – we could end up operating a reduced service. That would be a disaster,” she said.LETTERKENNY GENERAL TO ‘LOSE 24-HOUR A&E IN CUTBACKS’ was last modified: July 29th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cutsHSEletterkenny hospitallieslast_img read more

BISHOP ADMITS IT WAS ‘EXTRAORDINARY’ THAT NO EVIDENCE OF COMPLAINTS AGAINST PAEDOPHILE EUGENE GREENE

first_imgUPDATED: The Bishop of Raphoe, Dr Philip Boyce has described as “extraordinary” the fact that no evidence was found of complaints against notorious paedophile priest Eugene Greene.The Bishop was speaking after the publication of the audit into child sex abuse in the Diocese of Raphoe in Co Donegal.The audit found that there was a total of 52 complaints made against 14 priests. Bishop Boyce said the first he knew about allegations against notorious paedophile priest Eugene Green, who accounts for up to 26 of the complaints, was in 1997 during the lead-up to the court case against Green in 2000.He said a father of one victim claimed he had written to former Bishop of Raphoe Dr Seamus Hegarty but no trace of the letter could be found.“We couldn’t find any trace of letter. I expressed my sincere apology to these people and something should have been done but there was no trace of the letter until it came out in the court case. There was no copy of the letter.“That is extraordinary. It may reflect on the culture at the time. To my knowledge nothing was destroyed since I came into the Diocese,” he said. He added that Bishop Hearty was quite meticulous and he did not believe he destroyed any letters.“The letter wasn’t there and it’s a great disappointment that it wasn’t. I am truly sorry for what happened and nothing was done at the time. “It was the 1970s and we weren’t aware of the damage that child abuse could do. It makes me all the more determined to make our parishes a safe place for our children,” he said.Bishop Boyce added that there has not been any letter’s of complaint from survivors of child sex abuse.“”It is quite incredible but that is the truth,” he said.He said that he would have no problem with a Government enquiry into the Diocese abuse “if that is what is requested.” Chief executive of the National Board Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church, Ian Elliott, said serious errors of judgement were made by successive bishops in Raphoe when responding to child abuse allegations.“Too much emphasis was placed on the situation of the accused priest and too little on the needs of their complainants“Judgements were clouded, due to the presenting problem being for example, alcohol abuse and an inability to hear the concerns about abuse of children, through that presenting problems“More attention should have been given to ensuring that preventative actions were taken quickly when concerns came to light. This view is based on an assessment of cases reported to the diocese and includes a number which were received during the precious bishops’ time in office,” he said. The report added however that it commended Bishop Boyce on his willingness to “learn the painful lessons of the past and to apply them to current practice in the diocese.”The report revealed that of the 14 priests against whom complaints were made, 8 are now “out of Ministry’ or have left the priesthood.Bishop Boyce admitted he had visited some priests in prison but he had also visited many victims in a bid to apologise to all that had happened to them.Survivor John O’Donnell described the audit as a ‘white-wash’ and said he knew it would not uncover any new revelations.He said the numbers of priests and victims uncovered by the audit was completely misleading.“It’s nothing but a white-wash and I do not believe that Bishop Boyce was sincere.“I now for a fact that there were many, many more victims of priests across Raphoe.“How can they put a proper figure on it? What about people who were abused who have since gone on to commit suicide. Or what about those in metal homes or have become alcoholics or drug addicts?“How can they have a proper audit when this is undoubtedly the case?“They didn’t even bother to go an interview the survivors. How can this be a proper report,” he addedAnother victim, Martin Gallagher from Gorthork, said nothing but a full state investigation will satisfy those whose lives were ruined“We’ve been let down again – the only thing that can be done now is a full state investigation into Raphoe.“It took me ten minutes to read it. There was nothing I it – it was a joke. There was no voice for the victim.“I was particularly angry at what Bishop Boyce said about survivors. What about those who didn’t survive?“There are so many people in graveyards in Co Donegal who I believe took their own lives as a result of attacks by paedophile priests,” he said.Bishop Boyce revealed that the vast majority of both priests and lay people in the Raphoe Diocese who had been asked to take part in the vetting programme had done so.“There is about 20 who have not and that is because there is simply a back-log.“Anybody who does not agree to take part in this vetting programme will be asked to stand aside,” he said.Bishop Boyce concluded that he is now inviting all survivors of clerical child sex abuse to continue to come to him for guidance.“The sexual abuse of a young person by a member of the clergy in whom that child placed unhesitating trust inflicts a terrible wound in the lives of victims, communities and in the Church.“It is repugnant and constitutes a stumbling block to a life of faith in those who suffer. It gives scandal to the whole of society and it is rightly regarded as repulsive.“All I can say again is that I am deeply, deeply sorry,” he said.* The report made a total of 13 recommendations which includes that Bishop Boyce continues to work with the Gardai, the HSE and the Probation Board with regard to the management of all current cases within the Raphoe Diocese.It also recommends the Child Protection Committee should prepare and publish a further Annual Report on developments within the Diocese.EndsBISHOP ADMITS IT WAS ‘EXTRAORDINARY’ THAT NO EVIDENCE OF COMPLAINTS AGAINST PAEDOPHILE EUGENE GREENE was last modified: November 30th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:DR PHILIP BOYCEEUGENE GREENERAPHOE AUDITsex abuselast_img read more