ESN shops help CWHB to record £40m sale

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Talk of the towns

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

Good Year

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Leading questions

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

The goodies

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

PREMIUMConventional jobs losing ground in digital era

first_imgFacebook #Jakarta society #society digital-era #digital-era employment #employment Jan. 10 was like any other day for Buyung, a 45-year-old paperboy who regularly delivers the morning paper to offices and houses in Harmoni, Central Jakarta. However, unlike in the past, he carried few newspapers on the back of his bicycle.Ever since starting the job in 2009, he has experienced a massive decrease in the number of newspapers he delivers, with the world around him growing more and more digitalized by the second. Consequently, jobs like his risk running the way of the dodo.Paperboys make less than they did in past decades and many are out of a job as a result. Buyung said many of his colleagues either made the decision to retire or look for other jobs to support their family.“I have friends who turned to ojol [online motorcycle taxis] and food vendors after retiring from being a paperboy,” said Buyung while preparing to deliver newspapers on a rainy … Google Topics : LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Forgot Password ? Linkedin Log in with your social accountlast_img read more

Sanders claims victory as review ordered of Iowa results

first_imgDemocratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders joined Pete Buttigieg on Thursday in claiming victory in the chaotic Iowa caucuses as an exasperated party chairman ordered a review of the results of the first nominating contest.Sanders, the leftist senator from Vermont, and Buttigieg, the former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, have been separated by a razor-thin margin in the results released so far from Monday’s caucuses.Buttigieg declared himself the winner based on the number of delegates from the midwestern state who will be sent to the Democratic convention in July while Sanders staked his claim based on the popular vote. Three days after the caucuses were held, however, the final results are yet to be released and some doubts have been raised about their accuracy.Democratic Party chairman Tom Perez finally stepped in on Thursday, demanding a review of the results from the caucuses embarrassingly marred by technical problems.”Enough is enough,” Perez said on Twitter. “In order to assure public confidence in the results, I am calling on the Iowa Democratic Party to immediately begin a recanvass.”Perez said it would involve an examination of the results from each caucus site rather than a full recount. With returns in from 97 percent of the 1,765 precincts in Iowa, Buttigieg was leading by 26.2 percent to Sanders’ 26.1 percent in the delegate totals.Progressive Elizabeth Warren was next with 18.2 percent followed by former vice president Joe Biden with 15.8 percent and Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar with 12.2 percent.- ‘Much, much, much too complicated’ -Sanders, speaking on Thursday in New Hampshire, the next state to hold a presidential nominating contest, pointed to his 6,000-vote edge.”In other words, some 6,000 more Iowans came out on caucus night to support our candidacy than the candidacy of anyone else,” he said.”From where I come from the person who gets the most votes wins,” Sanders said, arguing that too much emphasis was being put on delegate totals.At the end of the day, he said, the caucus system is “much, much, much too complicated” and it was a mistake for the state party to “rely on untested technology.”Party officials have blamed the technical meltdown on a “coding error” with an app that was being used for the first time to report results.President Donald Trump pounced on the debacle in the first-in-the-nation contest to decide which Democrat will face him in November.”The Democrats, they can’t count some simple votes, and yet they want to take over your health care system,” Trump said during remarks at the White House celebrating his acquittal at his Senate impeachment trial.Buttigieg appeared to be getting a bounce from his strong performance in Iowa as the latest New Hampshire poll showed the centrist candidate in second place in the Granite State, which holds a primary on Tuesday.The Boston Globe/WBZ-TV/Suffolk University poll had Sanders, who won the New Hampshire primary four years ago before eventually losing the nomination to Hillary Clinton, topping the field with 25 percent.Buttigieg’s support surged to 19 percent from 12 percent on Monday, according to the poll, while Biden saw his backing fall to 12 percent from 18 percent over the same period.- ‘Gut punch’ -Biden, who described his likely fourth-place finish in Iowa as a “gut punch,” was meeting with advisors on Thursday to map out strategy. He has topped national polls since entering the crowded race.”I expected to do better,” Biden said as he took the gloves off and launched attacks on Sanders and Buttigieg.”If Senator Sanders is the nominee for the party, every Democrat in America… will have to carry the label Senator Sanders has chosen for himself,” Biden said of the self-described democratic socialist.The 77-year-old Biden, who served in the Senate for 36 years before becoming Barack Obama’s vice president, went after the 38-year-old Buttigieg for a relative lack of experience.”It’s a risk — to be just straight up with you — for this party to nominate someone who’s never held an office higher than mayor of a town of 100,000 people in Indiana,” Biden said.The Sanders campaign announced, meanwhile, it had raised $25 million in January, its largest fund-raising month to date.After the New Hampshire vote, the candidates will turn their sights on the Nevada caucuses on February 22, the South Carolina primary on February 29 and then the March 3 “Super Tuesday,” when 14 states hold primariesMichael Bloomberg, the billionaire former mayor of New York who is also in the race, chose to ignore the early nominating contests and has spent hundreds of millions of dollars on ads hoping to make a splash on Super Tuesday.Topics :last_img read more

COVID-19: Singapore reports first case ‘with travel history to Jakarta’

first_imgThe ministry noted that Case 107 was connected to Case 94, a 64-year-old Singaporean woman who had not traveled recently to China or South Korea, either, but was diagnosed with COVID-19 on Feb. 26.It also said that 30 confirmed cases were still hospitalized in Singapore as of Monday, most in stable or improved condition, while six COVID-19 patients were in critical condition and receiving intensive care. A further 78 patients had fully recovered from the disease and had been discharged.Also on Monday, the Singapore health ministry confirmed three positive COVID-19 cases: two citizens and one Myanmarese resident of Singapore who were diagnosed after visiting Batam in Indonesia. Cases 101, 103 and 104 had traveled together to the city in Riau Islands province from Feb. 21 to 23 and are among the cases linked to a cluster at Wizlearn Technologies, a Singaporean software company.Read also: Coronavirus carrier faces jail in Singapore for lying over movementsBy Monday, Singapore health authorities had already identified 3,140 close contacts of the three cases, of which 2,805 had been released from quarantine and 335 remain under quarantine.Separately, health authorities in Batam have quarantined 15 local residents identified as close contacts of the three Singapore cases.President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo announced on Monday that two Indonesians had tested positive for COVID-19, the first two confirmed cases in the country. The patients are a 64-year-old woman and her 31-year-old daughter who had been in contact with the Japanese national who was diagnosed on Feb. 27 in Malaysia after visiting Indonesia in mid-February.Prior to the four cases in Singapore, four other cases in China, Japan, New Zealand and Malaysia tested positive for COVID-19 shortly after returning from Indonesia.Editor’s note: The heading of this article has been corrected.Topics : Singapore’s Ministry of Health announced on Monday that its latest confirmed case of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) was a 68-year-old Singaporean woman who had traveled to Jakarta in mid-February.With the new case in Singapore, the global total of reported cases with a travel history to Indonesia now numbers eight.The patient, identified only as Case 107, had no history of recent travel to China or to Daegu and Cheongdo, the two COVID-19 hot spots in South Korea; however, she had traveled to Jakarta from Feb. 11 to 14. “The woman reported onset of symptoms on Feb. 16, and then sought treatment at two general practitioner clinics on Feb. 20, 23 and 25. She presented [COVID-19 symptoms] at Tan Tock Seng Hospital on Feb. 27 and was immediately isolated. Subsequent test results confirmed COVID-19 infection on Mar. 1 afternoon,” the ministry stated on its website.Read also: Indonesian domestic worker in Singapore recovers from COVID-19The woman is being treated at the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID) in Novena. Prior to being admitted to the hospital, she had mostly stayed at home on Bishan Street 13.Novena is the third station south from Bishan Station on the North-South line of the Singapore MRT, but the woman’s mode of transportation has not been disclosed.last_img read more

Bangkok Bank to acquire another Indonesian bank after Permata deal: OJK

first_imgThe majority of Bank Permata shares is owned by British financial giant Standard Chartered and Indonesian diversified conglomerate PT Astra International, with each owning 44.56 percent. Bank Permata operates 330 branches in 62 cities across Indonesia.The deal values Permata at 1.77 times its book value as per September 2019 and indicates a purchase price of Rp 1,498 (11 US cents) per share.The deal is expected to close in 2020 with Bangkok Bank set to make a mandatory offer for the remaining 10.88 percent of the shares at the same purchase price after completing the transaction to acquire the stakes from Standard Chartered and Astra. Thailand-based Bangkok Bank is planning to acquire another Indonesian bank after closing a deal to purchase a majority stake in Bank Permata from Standard Chartered and Astra International for US$2.7 billion, according to the Financial Services Authority (OJK).OJK commissioner for banking supervision Heru Kristiyana said Thursday that the bank was granted the approval to acquire Permata Bank, adding that the bank may purchase another Indonesian bank after completing the Permata deal.“It is already in their pipeline,” Heru told reporters in Jakarta without disclosing the name of the bank. “Everything is already on the right track with Bangkok Bank.” According to OJK Regulation No. 56/2016 on bank ownership, the OJK allows bank institutions and non-bank institutions to acquire a maximum 40 percent stake in local banks.Read also: Hopes high for Bank Permata after acquisition by Bangkok BankHowever, the OJK said it would allow investors to own more than 40 percent on the condition that they support financial system stability and help to develop the national economy.Bangkok Bank announced in December last year that it had agreed to buy 89.1 percent of publicly listed Bank Permata for around US$2.67 billion as part of its overseas expansion.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Government to expand PCR testing for coronavirus

first_imgThe government is ramping up efforts to carry out mass, rapid polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing amid concerns the world’s fourth-most populous nation lags woefully behind other countries in testing people for COVID-19.The Health Ministry issued a circular on Tuesday allowing public hospital laboratories, public and private clinical laboratories, as well as state-owned virology laboratories and university research laboratories to conduct PCR testing as long as they meet level-two biosafety (BSL-2) standards for testing SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19, and have the necessary equipment and facilities.The decision came after President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo on Monday called on the Health Ministry and the COVID-19 task force to improve and accelerate PCR testing, which scientists say is crucial in the battle against the deadly pandemic.According to pandemic data site Worldometer, Indonesia is ranked among the lowest in COVID-19 testing with only 52 tests for every million people as of Wednesday. By comparison, among neighboring countries Singapore has tested 11,110 for every million people, Malaysia 1,717 and Thailand 1,030.As of Wednesday, Indonesia had only tested 14,571 people using the PCR method, a low number that has prompted public scrutiny of the country’s testing capacity and confirmed cases, which many believe remain underreported. Achmad Yurianto, the government’s spokesperson for COVID -19 affairs, told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday that the country’s labs had the capacity to test more than 500 a day.The figure is expected to increase in the next few days.In addition to relaxing the regulations on testing, the government has imported two automatic RNA extractors and 18 PCR detectors from Swiss multinational healthcare company Roche, which will be distributed to 12 provinces; Jakarta, Banten, West and East Java, Bali, Lampung, South and North Sumatra, East Kalimantan, South Sulawesi and Papua.State-Owned Enterprises (SOEs) Ministry expert staffer Arya Sinulingga told the Post that the machines could boost the country’s testing capacity to between 5,000 to 10,000 tests per day, reaching as many as 300,000 tests within a month.The machines will be installed in Jakarta next week and those in other regions in the next two weeks, he said, adding that the SOEs Ministry would ensure the supply of necessary kits for PCR testing, even though the Health Ministry said that the country currently had only 200,000 reagents for the labs.Scientists have welcomed the ministry’s move to widen its laboratory network. They had been calling for such a measure ever since the ministry insisted on conducting the tests solely through its Health Research and Development Agency’s (Balitbangkes) laboratory in Jakarta since January.It was only in mid-March that the ministry allowed other laboratories to conduct PCR testing. At the time, a nationwide backlog of tests had overwhelmed the operational laboratories, mainly due to the time-consuming manual extraction process commonly used in these laboratories and insufficient PCR test kits, consumables, such as the viral transport mediums (VTMs), and human resources.Data collected from a survey by the Indonesian Medical BiologyAssociation (PBMI) showed that as of April 5, Indonesia had at least 106 laboratories of BSL2 standard quantitative PCR (qPCR), class II biological safety cabinets (BSC II) and sufficient human resources to carry out the procedures, which are among the requirements proposed in the Health Ministry’s circular.PBMI deputy chairman Ariananda Hariadi said that this would mean the 106 labs, if made operational, could significantly accelerate testing so that hospitals could immediately use the results for triage purposes and local administrations for policy making.“From the beginning, we in the PBMI were certain that there were many labs in Indonesia that could [conduct the tests], such as in universities, agricultural and livestock research and development agencies, even the veterinary research agencies, as they did during the H1N1 outbreak,” he told the Post on Wednesday.Ariananda said that in order to make the most use of these labs, the government should continuously supply them with reagents, the necessary kits and personal protective equipment (PPE), as well as training and supervision for their human resources. He noted that automated-extraction machines, which were still rare in Indonesia, could also double the number of tests processed by labs.Herawati Supolo Sudoyo, the Eijkman Institute for Molecular Biology’s deputy for fundamental research, said that as more labs would be able to conduct testing, it was also important for the government to accelerate testing by procuring closed-system machines so that extraction could be done automatically.Topics :last_img read more